Alpha 7R II Digital E-Mount Camera with Back-Illuminated Full Frame Sensor (Body only)
Request a price match
An identical model
The product must be a matching brand, model number and colour to be eligible.
Available to purchase
We may match selected local retailers (including their online prices) once verified and item must in stock or pre-order online or in store.
Not shown on our exclusions list
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, competitor’s service prices, special or hourly sales, bonus buy offers.
See our full list of exclusions
A local retailer
The retailer must have a local business number (ABN/ACN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Find a Qualifying Product
While online, find a qualifying product from a local retailer's website that would like to request a price match from. Make sure the product is identical to our product (model number and colour). The price must be current on the day of request and available to purchase at that price. The retailer must have a local business number (ABN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Fill out the form to request a Price Match
On selected pages, fill out the form and submit your request. Note, some models are excluded.
Please be prepared to direct our support staff to the ad or website that is displaying the current lower price you would like to match.
Should your price match request be successful, we will contact you and update your shopping cart. Make sure to create/sign into your account and add the product to cart to make this quicker.
Find a Qualifying Product
Find a qualifying product that you want Sony to price match from a local retailer. Make sure the product is identical to our product (model number and colour). The price must be current on the day of request and available to purchase at that price. The retailer must have a local business number (ABN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Price Match In Store
Take your catalogue, flyer, or printed email into one of our Sony Stores to request a price match.
Imaging Edge Webcam lets you connect your Sony camera to your personal computer, and use the camera as a webcam with a livestreaming/web conferencing service.
Clearer, more vibrant images
Great performance achieves its full potential accompanied by an array of innovative features. With an outstanding 42.4-megapixel count, the new image sensor in the α7R II lets you explore the world in remarkable detail and the camera employs no optical low-pass filter that can compromise high resolution. To reduce image blur, the camera's newly developed reduced-vibration shutter minimizes and Silent Shooting mode eliminates camera shake caused by shutter movement. And a growing family of FE lenses lets you witness more of the incomparable clarity that the sensor delivers from every perspective.
Learn and be inspired while exploring our Image Gallery. Images are captured on Sony cameras and lenses.
- Featuring the world's first 42.4MP back-illuminated full-frame CMOS sensor
- BIONZ X extra-wide ISO 50-102400 range
- Enhanced Fast Hybrid AF with 399-point focal plane phase-detection AF coverage.
BEST MIRRORLESS CSC PROFESSIONALThe Sony α7R II has a 42.4MP “Full-frame” Exmor R™ CMOS sensor housed inside a full magnesium alloy body. It features a hybrid AF system with 399 on-sensor phase detection points and 25 contrast detection points that allow still shooting at up to 5 fps at full AF and AE. The α7R II can deliver 4K video with in camera processing and recording and Full HD (1080p) video in either NTSC or PAL at 60p/30p/24p or 50p/25p using the high bit-rate XAVC S format. It offers fully customisable colour and gamma controls, including the same SLog2 and S-Log3 Gamma curves found in high-end Sony cinema cameras. TIPA Awards 2016 Read Review
Durable reduced-vibration shutter
The new shutter's braking mechanism cuts mechanical front/rear curtain vibration by about 50% . Also, use the electronic front curtain for even less vibration. This not only minimizes camera shake that can blur details in 42.4-megapixel images - it makes the shutter durable enough to have been tested to 500,000 cycles.
Silent Shooting features an electronic shutter that causes no vibration, so you can shoot high-resolution images without camera shake. This mode also operates without a sound, so it's very convenient for shooting without disrupting indoor performances and outdoor wildlife, and in all other situations where silence is essential.
Supports 14-bit uncompressed RAW format
New compatibility with 14-bit uncompressed RAW format lets you choose the optimal format for your needs. The camera thereby ensures supreme quality of tonal gradation to maximise the benefit of the image sensor's wide dynamic range.
Focus Magnifier & Peaking function
You can clearly magnify the image to simplify manual fine-tuning of the focus whether shooting still images or movies. The Peaking function can also be activated to colourize the most sharply focused areas of your image for quick confirmation.
One-touch remote and one-touch sharing
One-touch remote lets you use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder and remote control for a digital camera, and one-touch sharing lets you transfer your photos and videos from your camera. Either way, by installing PlayMemories Mobile app to your NFC enable Android smartphone or tablet, you can avoid complex set-up sequences and establish wireless connection simply by touching your device to the camera. You are now ready to control your camera from your smartphone to take a photo from a previously out-of-reach spot, or simply be in your own group shot, as well as transfer them instantly to your smartphone for sharing on SNS. No NFC? No problem. You can also pair the devices manually.
Supported in Capture One Express (for Sony)
Capture One Express (for Sony) is one of the world's best RAW converters, rendering precise colours and incredible detail. It contains flexible digital asset management, all the essential adjustment tools and fast, responsive performance in one customizable and integrated solution. * Please direct all inquiries on purchase, usage and support on Capture One solutions to Phase One.
PlayMemories Camera Apps add personal touches
Sony's application download service lets you add new functions and capabilities to your camera. There are apps for photo and movie effects to enhance and express your creativity, and others to allow your smartphone to function as a camera's remote control, for example.
Enhanced Eye AF
Now also available in AF-C focus mode, Eye AF automatically detects and tracks an eye of even a moving subject, for more framing freedom.
Expand Flexible Spot
If the selected AF point is not positioned on your subject, the a7R II automatically uses AF points surrounding the selected point to support precise focus.
Compatibility with wide-ranging mountable lenses
5-axis image stabilization lets you enjoy unparalleled handheld shooting freedom with more of your favorite mountable lenses. The short flange-back distance in the E-mount a7R II extends compatibility with a range of lenses.
Stable viewfinder image
You can monitor the stabilizing effects of camera shake compensation in the viewfinder or LCD screen while shooting still images by pressing the shutter button halfway or magnifying the image, and while shooting movies by entering movie mode. Even when using a telephoto or macro lens, you can fine-tune framing and focusing without stress for steady results.
Fine-tune the look of movies before shooting by adjusting gradation, colour adjustment and detail. Adjusted parameters can be saved with other settings as a profile, and up to 7 profiles(PP1-PP7) can be stored for later recall.
S-Log2 Gamma setting
This proprietary Sony setting featured in professional camcorders creates a 1300% wider dynamic range for smooth gradation with reduced whiteout and blackout. Use colour grading in post-production to make the most of low-noise images and super-rich detail to express footage in various ways. ISO 800 or higher is available when S-Log2 Gamma is selected.
Clean HDMI output
This function supports 4K and Full HD and allows uncompressed movie output to an external recorder or monitor. The image can also be recorded in the camera even while signals are output using this function. The included cable protector guards jacks and prevents cables from disengaging accidentally, so you can shoot with greater assurance.
More precise white balance adjustment
The a7R II offers more white balance adjustment steps (twice as many on the amber-blue axis; four times as many on the green-magenta axis) than before, so you can finely tune white balance with more subtle precision for more natural colours.
This function that boosts image brightness by changing shutter speed, for example, can be assigned to a customizable button for easy access when shooting a starry sky or other dark scene.
ISO Auto Minimum Shutter Speed
Prevent blur in a shot of a moving subject by setting a shutter speed at which ISO sensitivity starts changing when ISO AUTO (while in P or A mode, or in Multi Frame NR) is selected.
1200-zone Evaluative Metering
Ample data from 1200-zone metering and focal plane phase-detection AF points allows for more precise control of light volume from an external flash that complements ambient light. Choose Multi-segment, Center-weighted or Spot metering mode.
D-range Optimizer (DRO)
In difficult lighting, DRO corrects your images to achieve smoother, more natural gradations with more detail in the highlights and shadows. You can use it during continuous shooting and when photographing moving subjects.
Multi Frame NR (Noise Reduction)
This mode composites four shots to significantly suppress noise and raise sensitivity, letting you clearly capture dark scenes without a tripod or flash. Camera shake blur is also lowered while contrast and detail are raised.
New back-illuminated full-frame CMOS sensor
The a7R II has the world's first 35mm full-frame CMOS image sensor with back-illuminated structure, which achieves approx. 42.4 effective megapixel resolution, widely expanded sensitivity range , and extra-low noise performance. It also has no optical low-pass filter that can compromise sharpness, so fine clarity and detail extend from edge to edge of every frame.
Auto HDR (High Dynamic Range)
Auto HDR composites the best details from three exposures to expand the dynamic range of your images from darkest shadows to brightest highlights and capture all the tonal gradations seen by your naked eye.
5-axis image stabilization
This stabilization system is fine-tuned for high-resolution image sensors to compensate accurately for five types of camera shake that can compromise handheld shooting of the camera's 42.4-megapixel images. Camera shake compensation is equivalent to using a 4.5-step faster shutter speed, allowing you to take advantage of a wider range of shutter speeds.
Higher-resolution 4K movie recording
Footage from 4K movie recording featuring full pixel readout without pixel binning in the Super 35mm format exhibits higher resolution and superior clarity than typical 4K movies. Also, the XAVC S format allows 4K recording at 100Mbps maximum bit rate to capture fine details of movement in movies.
High-speed BIONZ X image processing engine
With detail reproduction technology to capture the essence of realism, diffraction-reducing technology to maintain clarity even at smaller apertures, area-specific noise reduction to reduce noise adaptively and reproduce greater detail, the BIONZ X image processing engine finely tunes the image sensor's 42.4-megapixel data, for truer, clearer depiction.
All FE lenses maximize resolution
The growing group of FE lenses (35mm full-frame compatible E-mount lenses) - all carefully developed to match full-frame image sensors employing increasing numbers of pixels - makes the most of the 42.4-megapixel high-resolution performance of the a7R II.
Fast Hybrid AF now covers more
The high-performance image sensor enhances Fast Hybrid AF, which far surpasses conventional AF in comprehensiveness, speed and response. The 399 focal plane phase-detection AF points cover 45% of the image area - the most coverage among digital still cameras with full-frame image sensors. 25-point contrast-detection AF coverage is also included.
Priority setup in AF-C/AF-S
In AF-S (Single-shot AF) or AF-C (Continuous AF) mode, choose AF priority for taking pictures only when subject is in focus, Release priority for taking pictures even when subject is not in focus, or Balanced Emphasis for balancing the AF and Release options to achieve accurate focus, yet not miss a decisive moment when shooting moving subjects.
In this mode, press the shutter button halfway down, and the camera automatically recognizes whether the subject is moving or not, then switches AF mode accordingly between AF-S to lock on a subject in focus and AF-C to keep adjusting focus. This versatility is useful for shooting various subjects at the same time, or to avoid switching AF mode manually.
XGA OLED Tru-Finder makes every view a vision
With the world's highest magnification at 0.78x among digital still camera viewfinders, the XGA OLED Tru-Finder provides views of cutting-edge definition, contrast and depth throughout the entire display. ZEISS T* Coating ensures absolutely minimal reflection on the viewfinder, so the a7R II's extraordinary 42.4-megapixel performance is apparent at all times.
Tough magnesium alloy body
Designed for solid reliability and steady handling, the a7R II's compact body is built to withstand the rigors of shooting in the field, thanks to an internal structure and top, front, and rear covers all made of strong, rigid magnesium alloy.
Creative Style settings bring out the character of your scene. Simply select any of 13 settings (Vivid, Portrait, etc.) and the camera will adjust image parameters. You can also fine-tune contrast, saturation and sharpness to suit your preference.
- Image Processor BIONZ X
- Lens Compatibility Sony E-mount lenses
- Lens Mount E-mount
- Sensor 35mm full frame (35.9 x 24.0mm), Exmor R CMOS sensor
- Sensor Type 35 mm
- ISO Sensitivity ISO 50-25600
Number Of Pixels (Effective)
- Number Of Pixels (Effective) 42.4 MP
- Silent Shooting Yes, On/Off
- Electronic Front Shutter Curtain Yes, On/Off
- LCD Display Graphic Display / Display All Info. / No Disp. Info. / Histogram / Digital Level Gauge / Shooting information for viewfinder mode
- Display Selecter (Finder/LCD) Auto/Manual
- Screen Type 7.5 cm (3.0-type) TFT drive
- Memory Function Yes (2 sets)
- Speed (approx. max.) Continuous shooting Hi : Max. 5fps, Continuous shooting Lo: Max. 2.5fps
- Exposure Modes AUTO (iAUTO, Superior Auto), Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M), Movie, Sweep Panorama, Scene Selection
- Flash Modes Flash off, Autoflash, Fill-flash, Rear Sync., Slow Sync., Red-eye reduction (On/Off selectable), Hi-speed sync, Wireless
- FE Level Lock Yes
- Other Features Lock-on AF, Eye AF, Predictive control, Focus lock; Eye-start AF and AF micro adjustment (both only available with optional LA-EA2 or LA-EA4 attached), AF illuminator (built-in, LED type, range: Approx. 0.30-3 m), AF ON
- Others Auto-lock Accessory Shoe compatible with supplied shoe adaptor, Microphone terminal (3.5mm Stereo minijack), Headphone terminal (3.5mm Stereo minijack), Vertical Grip Connector
- Interfaces Headphone minijackMicrophone minijackMulti Interface ShoeMulti/Micro USB TerminalVertical Grip Connector
- HD Output HDMI micro connector (Type-D), BRAVIA Sync (link menu), PhotoTV HD, 4K still image playback
- Noise Reduction Long exposure NR: On/Off, available at shutter speeds longer than 1 sec., High ISO NR: Normal / Low / Off selectable
- White Balance Modes Auto WB / Daylight / Shade / Cloudy / Incandescent / Fluorescent (Warm White / Cool White / Day White / Daylight) / Flash / Color Temperature (2500 to 9900K) & Color Filter (G7 to M7: 57steps, A7 to B7: 29steps) / Custom / Underwater
Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images)
- Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images) Approx. 290 shots (viewfinder) / approx. 340 shots (LCD screen) (CIPA standard)
- Supplied Battery Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-FW50
- Battery Life (CIPA, Movies) Actual: Approx. 50 min. with viewfinder, approx. 55 min. with LCD screen (CIPA standard), Continuous: Approx. 95 min. with viewfinder, approx. 95 min. with LCD screen (CIPA standard)
- Movie Functions Audio Level Display, Audio Rec Level, AF Tracking Sensitivity, AF Drive Speed, Auto Slow Shutter, HDMI info. Display (On/Off selectable), Time Code/User Bit, Picture Profile, Creative Style, Picture Effect, Rec Control, Dual Video Rec, Marker Setting, PAL/NTSC Selector
- Image Size (pixels), PAL* XAVC S 4K: 3840 x 2160 (30p/100Mbps, 30p/60Mbps, 24p/100Mbps, 24p/60Mbps), XAVC S HD: 1920 x 1080 (60p/50Mbps, 30p/50Mbps, 24p/50Mbps), 1280 x 720 (120p/50Mbps), AVCHD: 1920 x 1080 (60p/28Mbps/PS, 60i/24Mbps/FX, 60i/17Mbps/FH, 24p/24Mbps/FX, 24p/17Mbps/FH), MP4: 1920 x 1080 (60p/28Mbps, 30p/16Mbps), 1280 x 720 (30p/6Mbps)
- Image Size (pixels), PAL XAVC S 4K: 3840 x 2160 (25p/100Mbps, 25p/60Mbps), XAVC S HD: 1920 x 1080 (50p/50Mbps, 25p/50Mbps), 1280 x 720 (100p/50Mbps), AVCHD: 1920 x 1080 (50p/28Mbps/PS, 50i/24Mbps/FX, 50i/17Mbps/FH, 25p/24Mbps/FX, 25p/17Mbps/FH), MP4: 1920 x 1080 (50p/28Mbps, 25p/16Mbps), 1280 x 720 (25p/6Mbps)
- Image Size (pixels), NTSC* XAVC S 4K: 3840 x 2160 (30p/100Mbps, 30p/60Mbps, 24p/100Mbps, 24p/60Mbps), XAVC S HD: 1920 x 1080 (60p/50Mbps, 30p/50Mbps, 24p/50Mbps), 1280 x 720 (120p/50Mbps), AVCHD: 1920 x 1080 (60p/28Mbps/PS, 60i/24Mbps/FX, 60i/17Mbps/FH, 24p/24Mbps/FX, 24p/17Mbps/FH), MP4: 1920 x 1080 (60p/28Mbps, 30p/16Mbps), 1280 x 720 (30p/6Mbps)
Recording (still images)
- RAW Output 14 bit
- Image Size (pixels), Sweep Panorama Wide: Horizontal 12416 x 1856 (23M), vertical 5536 x 2160 (12M), Standard: Horizontal 8192 x 1856 (15M), vertical 3872 x 2160 (8.4M)
- Image Size (pixels), 3:2 35mm full frame L: 7952 x 5304 (42M), M: 5168 x 3448 (18M), S: 3984 x 2656 (11M)APS-C L: 5168 x 3448 (18M), M: 3984 x 2656 (11M), S: 2592 x 1728 (4.5M)
- Image Size (pixels), 16:9 35mm full frame L: 7952 x 4472 (36M), M: 5168 x 2912 (15M), S: 3984 x 2240 (8.9M)APS-C L: 5168 x 2912 (15M), M: 3984 x 2240 (8.9M), S: 2592 x 1456 (3.8M)
- Compatible Recording Media Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick Micro(M2), SD memory card, SDHC memory card (UHS-I compliant), SDXC memory card (UHS-I compliant), microSD memory card, microSDHC memory card, microSDXC memory card,
- Viewfinder Type XGA OLED, 1.3 cm (0.5 type) electronic viewfinder (colour)
- Web Camera Compatible Yes
Size and Weight
- Width (cm) 15.50
- Height (cm) 14.50
- Weight (kg) 1.79
- Carton Width (cm) 15.50
- Carton Height (cm) 27.00
- Carton Weight (kg) 3.84
This product is searchable
Search for this product by using any of the following codes or IDs