Alpha 1 with superb resolution and speed
Request a price match
An identical model
The product must be a matching brand, model number and colour to be eligible.
Available to purchase
We may match selected local retailers (including their online prices) once verified and item must in stock or pre-order online or in store.
Not shown on our exclusions list
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, competitor’s service prices, special or hourly sales, bonus buy offers.
See our full list of exclusions
A local retailer
The retailer must have a local business number (ABN/ACN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Find a Qualifying Product
While online, find a qualifying product from a local retailer's website that would like to request a price match from. Make sure the product is identical to our product (model number and colour). The price must be current on the day of request and available to purchase at that price. The retailer must have a local business number (ABN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Fill out the form to request a Price Match
On selected pages, fill out the form and submit your request. Note, some models are excluded.
Please be prepared to direct our support staff to the ad or website that is displaying the current lower price you would like to match.
Should your price match request be successful, we will contact you and update your shopping cart. Make sure to create/sign into your account and add the product to cart to make this quicker.
Find a Qualifying Product
Find a qualifying product that you want Sony to price match from a local retailer. Make sure the product is identical to our product (model number and colour). The price must be current on the day of request and available to purchase at that price. The retailer must have a local business number (ABN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Price Match In Store
Take your catalogue, flyer, or printed email into one of our Sony Stores to request a price match.
Next-generation 8K 30p recording
The new image sensor and BIONZ XR engine in the α1 deliver 8K 30p movie recording capability for extraordinary realism. Four times the resolution of 4K with full Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF functionality. 8K footage is also ideally suited to flexible 4K editing.
Breathtaking resolution and image quality
The new 50.1 MP Exmor RS CMOS sensor delivers high resolution and sensitivity with low noise, plus up to 15 stops of dynamic range. A new image processing engine achieves even better colour accuracy than previous models.
High-level subject recognition technology now makes it possible for Sony’s Real-time Eye AF function to track and accurately focus on bird eyes, even if the bird suddenly takes flight or the framing changes. This innovative function easily meets the many challenges of bird photography.
Wide ISO100 ~ 32000 sensitivity range
Despite the sensor’s high pixel count, a sensitive back-illuminated structure with gapless on-chip lenses and an AR coated seal glass allows a standard ISO range of ISO100~32000, expandable to ISO50~1024009.
Full-frame stacked 50.1 MP Exmor RS™ CMOS sensor with integral memory
A stacked architecture in this back-illuminated 50.1 MP full-frame image sensor contributes to high resolution and speed. Separate pixel and circuit layers and advanced A/D conversion mean faster processing.
Two CFexpress Type A compatible media slots
Dual media slots support UHS-I and UHS-II SDXC/SDHC cards as well as new CFexpress Type A cards for higher overall capacity and faster read/write speeds.
Touch menu control
Touch-responsive main and function menus with menu tabs on the left of the display and related parameter groups and parameters on the right make for easy navigation and tracking control.
Durable magnesium alloy chassis
A light, rigid magnesium alloy enhances the durability of the top, front, and rear covers as well as the internal frame. 6 lens mount attachment screws add even more strength and rigidity.
- 50.1MP 35mm full-frame stacked CMOS sensor with integral memory for high speed
- High-speed continuous shooting at up to 30fps
- Professional movie capture up to 8K/30p and 4K/120p
S-Log3 and 10-bit HLG deliver extra depth
The S-Log3 gamma curve makes it possible to achieve 15+ stops of dynamic range, while the S-Gamut3 and S-Gamut3.Cine colour gamut settings make it easy to match a1 footage with footage shot on the VENICE digital cinema camera, PXW-FX9, and other professional camcorders. An HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) picture profile is also provided, allowing direct playback on an HDR (HLG) compatible TV without the need for colour grading.
16-bit RAW output
The a1 allows 16-bit RAW output to an external recorder via HDMI for maximum post-production flexibility. Full-frame 4332 x 2448 16-bit image output easily covers 4096 x 2048 DCI-4K, with a choice of frame rates and colour spaces. It is also possible to output RAW via HDMI while recording XAVC HS 4K, XAVC S 4K, or XAVC S-I 4K to internal card media. Proxy recording is also available.
Effective heat-dissipation for extended recording
A newly developed heat dissipating structure keeps image sensor and image processing engine temperatures within their normal operating range, preventing overheating while maintaining compact body dimensions. This makes it possible to record 8K/30p or 4K/60p videos10-bit 4:2:0 video continuously for more than 30 minutes.
S-Cinetone for that expressive cinematic look
The a1 includes S-Cinetone, the same colour matrix that produces the highly regarded FX9 and FX6 colour and skin tones. Based on technology acquired through development of Cinema Line cameras such as VENICE, S-Cinetone delivers natural mid-tones that are essential to healthy-looking skin colour, plus soft colours and gorgeous highlights. S-Cinetone responds to a growing need for more expressive depth.
Pan shots with electronic shutter
Using electronic shutter at low shutter speeds can reduce display response, making it difficult to follow fast subjects. Turn [Low Frame Rate Limit] ON when shooting at a shutter speed lower than 1/60 to insert blackout frames at an appropriate frame rate to improve display response and make it easier to follow the subject without display lag.
50.1 megapixel Exmor RS image sensor
The a1 features a full-frame stacked back-illuminated CMOS Exmor RS sensor with 50.1 effective megapixels and integrated memory. In addition to delivering outstanding image quality, this allows the a1 to shoot continuously at up 30 frames per second while offering fast, precise phase-detection AF and top-quality 8K movies with full-frame 8.6K oversampling for the first time in the a series. Unprecedented performance for a new era of image making.
Advanced BIONZ XR engine boosts speed by up to 8x
The a1 features a revised system architecture with greatly enhanced processing performance from image capture through all signal processing stages. Processing latency is minimised while image processing power is dramatically increased for extraordinary image quality. User interface, network, and file management processing is distributed so that fast, stress-free control response is maintained regardless of real-time processing load.
Continuous shooting at up to 30 fps
High speed readout from the 50.1-megapixel image sensor and a large buffer memory make it possible to shoot up to approximately 165 full-frame JPEG images or 155 full-frame compressed RAW images at up to 30 frames per second with the electronic shutter while maintaining full AF and AE tracking performance. This can be a huge confidence-booster when timing is critical for sports and other moving subjects.
The a1 viewfinder does not black out when an exposure is made, so you have an uninterrupted view that allows smooth, seamless framing and tracking even during continuous shooting. High readout speed from the new image sensor makes it possible to refresh the live-view EVF display 240 times per second while shooting continuous bursts, overcoming the distracting time lag that is usually associated with EVF viewing. (A) Blackout-free Shooting (B) Shooting with blackouts
High-resolution viewfinder with the widest view in its class
A 9.44 million-dot (approx.) electronic viewfinder with high-definition OLED display and refined optics delivers the highest resolution in its class. It also offers 0.90x viewfinder magnification, a 41º diagonal FOV, and a 25mm high eyepoint for clear, low-distortion viewing from corner to corner. This advanced viewfinder also features up to 240 fps refresh rate with UXGA FOV for super-smooth display.
Built-in Wi-Fi supports 2x2 MIMO
Built-in wireless LAN allows communication on the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, the latter with 2x2 MIMO support (IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac) for industry-leading speed. Dual antennas ensure reliable communication, even with the camera's durable magnesium alloy chassis. 5 GHz communication can be a notable advantage for news and sports shooters who need to deliver with reliable speed.
- Lens Compatibility E-mount
- Lens Mount E-mount
- Mount E-mount
- Sensor 35mm full frame (35.9 x 24.0mm), Exmor RS CMOS sensor
- Image Sensor Aspect Ratio 3:2
- Sensor Type 35mm full frame (35.9 x 24.0mm), Exmor RS CMOS sensor
- ISO Sensitivity Still images: ISO 100-32000 (ISO numbers up from ISO 50 to ISO 102400 can be set as expanded ISO range.), AUTO (ISO 100-12800, selectable lower limit and upper limit), Movies: ISO 100-32000 equivalent, AUTO (ISO 100-12800, selectable lower limit and upper limit)
Number Of Pixels (Effective)
- Number Of Pixels (Effective) Approx. 50.1 megapixels
- Number of Pixels (total) Approx. 50.5 megapixels
- Silent Shooting Yes (ON/OFF)
- Shutter Type Mechanical shutter/Electronic shutter. Electronically-controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane type
- Shutter Speed Still images, Single shot Mechanical Shutter:1/8000 to 30 sec, Bulb; AUTO: 1/32000 to 30 sec, Bulb; Electronic Shutter: 1/32000 to 30 sec; Still images, Continous shooting Mechanical; Shutter:1/8000 to 30 sec; AUTO: 1/32000 to 1/2 sec; Electronic Shutter: 1/32000 to 1/2 sec; Movies: 1/8000 to 1/4(1/3 steps), up to 1/60 in AUTO mode (up to 1/30 in Auto slow shutter mode)
- Flash Sync. Speed (Mechanical shutter), (Flash Sync. Priority) is (ON) or (AUTO):1/400 sec (35mm full frame), 1/500 sec (APS-C), (Flash Sync. Priority) is (OFF):1/320 sec (35mm full frame), 1/400 sec (APS-C), (Electrical shutter), 1/200 sec (35mm full frame), 1/250 sec (APS-C)
- Electronic Front Shutter Curtain Yes
- Touch Screen Yes
- Total Number of Dots 1,440,000 dots
- Focus Magnifier Yes, Focus Magnifier (35mm full frame: 4.2x / 8.5x, APS-C: 2.7x / 5.5x)
- Brightness Control (LCD) Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2), Sunny Weather mode
- Adjustable Angle Up by Approx. 107 degrees, Down by Approx. 41 degrees
- Screen Type 7.5cm (3.0-type) type TFT
- Drive Modes Single Shooting, Continuous shooting (Hi+/Hi/Mid/Lo selectable), Self-timer, Self-timer (Cont.), Bracket: Single, Bracket: Cont., White Balance bracket, DRO bracket
- Continues Shooting AUTO/Electronic Shutter: Continuous shooting: Hi+: 30 fps, Hi: 20 fps, Mid: 15fps, Lo: 5 fps, Mechanical Shutter: Continuous shooting: Hi+: 10 fps, Hi: 8 fps, Mid: 6fps, Lo: 3 fps
- Metering Type 1200-zone evaluative metering
- Metering Sensor Exmor RS CMOS sensor
- Metering Sensitivity EV-3 to EV20 (at ISO100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)
- Metering Mode Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot, Spot Standard/Large, Entire Screen Avg., Highlight
- Exposure Modes AUTO(iAuto), Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M), Movie (Programmed AE (P) / Aperture priority (A) / Shutter-speed priority (S) / Manual (M) / Flexible Exp. Mode), Slow & Quick Motion (Programmed AE (P) / Aperture priority (A) / Shutter-speed priority (S) / Manual (M) / Flexible Exp. Mode)
- AE Lock Locked when shutter button is pressed halfway. Available with AE lock button. (On/Off/Auto)
- Flash Modes Flash off, Autoflash, Fill-flash, Slow Sync., Rear Sync., Red-eye reduction (on/off selectable), Wireless8, Hi-speed sync.
- Flash Compensation +/- 3.0 EV (switchable between 1/3 and 1/2 EV steps)
- FE Level Lock Yes
- External Flash Compatibility Sony α System Flash compatible with Multi Interface Shoe, attach the shoe adaptor for flash compatible with Auto-lock accessory shoe
- Focus Type Fast Hybrid AF (phase-detection AF / contrast-detection AF)
- Focus Sensor Exmor RS CMOS sensor
- Focus Sensitivity Range EV-4 to EV20 (ISO100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)
- Focus Area Wide / Zone / Center / Flexible Spot / Expanded Flexible Spot / Tracking
- AF Mode AF-S (Single-shot AF), AF-C ( Continuous AF), DMF (Direct Manual Focus), Manual Focus
- AF Illuminator range Approx. 0.3m - approx. 3.0m (with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- AF Illuminator -
- EYE AF Still images: Human (Right/Left Eye Select) / Animal (Right/Left Eye Select) / Bird, Movie: Human (Right/Left Eye Select)
- Functions FTP Transfer Func.(Wired LAN, USB Tethering, Wi-Fi)., View on Smartphone,Remote control via Smartphone, NFC One-touch remote,PC Remote, BRAVIA Sync (Control for HDMI), PhotoTV HD
Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images)
- Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images) Approx. 430 shots (Viewfinder) / approx. 530 shots (LCD monitor) (CIPA standard)
- Power consumption with Viewfinder Still images: approx. 4.6W (with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached), Movies: approx. 6.8W (with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- Supplied Battery One rechargeable battery pack NP-FZ100
- Creative Look ST, PT, NT, VV, VV2, FL, IN, SH, BW, SE, Custom Look (1-6)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC Hs 4K) 3840 x 2160 (4:2:0, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (200Mbps), 60p (150Mbps / 75Mbps / 45Mbps), 24p (100Mbps / 50Mbps / 30Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:0, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (200Mbps), 50p (150Mbps / 75Mbps / 45Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (280Mbps), 60p (200Mbps / 100Mbps), 24p (100Mbps / 50Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (280Mbps), 50p (200Mbps / 100Mbps)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC S 4K) 3840 x 2160 (4:2:0, 8bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (200Mbps), 60p (150Mbps), 30p (100Mbps / 60Mbps), 24p (100Mbps / 60Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:0, 8bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (200Mbps), 50p (150Mbps), 25p (100Mbps / 60Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (280Mbps), 60p (200Mbps), 30p (140Mbps), 24p (100Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (280Mbps), 50p (200Mbps), 25p (140Mbps)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC S HD) 1920 x 1080 (4:2:0, 8bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (100Mbps / 60Mbps), 60p (50Mbps / 25Mbps), 30p (50Mbps / 16Mbps), 24p (50Mbps); 1920 x 1080 (4:2:0, 8bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (100Mbps / 60Mbps), 50p (50Mbps / 25Mbps), 25p (50Mbps / 16Mbps); 1920 x 1080 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 60p (50Mbps), 30p (50Mbps), 24p (50Mbps); 1920 x 1080 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 50p (50Mbps), 25p (50Mbps)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC S-I 4K) 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 60p (600Mbps), 30p (300Mbps), 24p (240Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 50p (500Mbps), 25p (250Mbps)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC S-I HD) 1920 x 1080 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 60p (222Mbps), 30p (111Mbps), 24p (89Mbps); 1920 x 1080 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 50p (185Mbps), 25p (93Mbps)
Recording (still images)
- Creative Look ST, PT, NT, VV, VV2, FL, IN, SH, BW, SE, Custom Look (1-6)
- Viewfinder Type 1.6 cm (0.64 type) electronic viewfinder (color)
- Display Function Histogram, Real-time image-adjustment display, Digital level gauge, Grid line, Focus check, Peaking MF, Zebra, Movie marker, Emph disp dur REC
Size and Weight
- Carton Width (cm) 15.50
- Carton Height (cm) 27.00
- Carton Weight (kg) 3.59
This product is searchable
Search for this product by using any of the following codes or IDs
- ILCE-1/BQ AP2