WX500 Digital Compact Camera with 30x Optical Zoom (Black)
Nationwide shipping for online orders is now available
Request a price match
An identical model
The product must be a matching brand, model number and colour to be eligible.
Available to purchase
We may match selected local retailers (including their online prices) once verified and item must in stock or pre-order online or in store.
Not shown on our exclusions list
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, competitor’s service prices, special or hourly sales, bonus buy offers.
See our full list of exclusions
A local retailer
The retailer must have a local business number (ABN/ACN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Find a Qualifying Product
While online, find a qualifying product from a local retailer's website that would like to request a price match from. Make sure the product is identical to our product (model number and colour). The price must be current on the day of request and available to purchase at that price. The retailer must have a local business number (ABN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Fill out the form to request a Price Match
On selected pages, fill out the form and submit your request. Note, some models are excluded.
Please be prepared to direct our support staff to the ad or website that is displaying the current lower price you would like to match.
Should your price match request be successful, we will contact you and update your shopping cart. Make sure to create/sign into your account and add the product to cart to make this quicker.
Find a Qualifying Product
Find a qualifying product that you want Sony to price match from a local retailer. Make sure the product is identical to our product (model number and colour). The price must be current on the day of request and available to purchase at that price. The retailer must have a local business number (ABN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Price Match In Store
Take your catalogue, flyer, or printed email into one of our Sony Stores to request a price match.
Shoot your best — Look even better
Improve your selfie, and take it easily, too. A 180-degree tiltable LCD monitor makes it simple to see how you look in the frame. Meet the new Sony WX500 — the world’s smallest2 camera to contain the far-reaching performance of a ZEISS® 30x optical zoom lens. With so much creative capability at hand to shoot for fun, you'll capture more star quality in every image.
- 18.2 MP Exmor R CMOS sensor
- ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* 30x optical zoom lens
- 180-degree tiltable LCD
30x zoom lens with ZEISS quality built in
The result of over a century and a half of ZEISS expertise in high-precision optics is perfectly clear: this 24-720mm lens renders portrait, close-up, and landscape images in natural glory from every perspective, with vivid sharpness and contrast intact. ZEISS T* multi-layer anti-reflective coating effectively eliminates surface ghosting and flare.
Exmor R CMOS sensor for extra sensitivity
The more light is allowed to strike a sensor, the more brilliant a resulting image will look. So the Exmor R CMOS sensor with 18.2 effective megapixels employs back-illuminated design to let four times more light in than a more conventional sensor, is twice as sensitive to light, and even features Sony Column A/D Conversion technology to reduce image noise.
BIONZ X for more detail and less noise
To transform data from the Exmor R CMOS sensor into high-resolution images, the BIONZ X image processor integrates detail reproduction, diffraction-reducing and area-specific noise reduction technologies. This combination makes it possible to reproduce realistic images of truer colours and textures with exceptional precision in real time.
180-degree tiltable LCD monitor for easy framing
The high-resolution LCD monitor on the camera back can be tilted up to 180 degrees. So when you're in front of the camera, you can easily view the LCD monitor to check the framing before you shoot a selfie, for example. This flexibility also lets you comfortably maintain stress-free posture while monitoring a scene that you want to shoot at a low position.
P/A/S/M exposure modes and Photo Creativity
Express your vision of still images with Programmed AE (P)/Aperture priority (A)/Shutter-speed priority (S)/Manual (M) exposure modes. Use these to manually control exposure, to adjust background blur, for example. Photo Creativity also lets you make adjustments intuitively to change brightness, colour, vividness and other image characteristics.
More flexible movie formats
The new XAVC S format captures movies detailing extra-smooth action and high-quality sound with great fidelity to the original sources. Whether you're shooting in XAVC S or high-definition AVCHD format, you can also simultaneously record another version of the same scene in a compressed, web-friendly MP4 format for convenient sharing.
PlayMemories Camera Apps add personality
Enhance your creative expression with PlayMemories Camera Apps, offering a growing range of enjoyable applications that are easy to download. Not only do these apps give you greater functionality - they are the ultimate means of personalising your camera to fulfill your photographic aims. Note: Services availability depends on region.
Beauty Effect improves appearance
Retouch the appearance of people in photos quickly and intuitively. With the five modes of Beauty Effect, you can smooth skin, tone skin, dull overly glistening skin, widen eyes and brighten teeth - all in camera, with no need for a PC. Your subjects will love how they can look almost magically enhanced in your portraits.
One-touch remote and one-touch sharing
One-touch remote lets you use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder and remote control for a digital camera, and one-touch sharing lets you transfer your photos and videos from your camera. Either way, by installing PlayMemories Mobile app to your NFC enable Android smartphone or tablet, you can avoid complex set-up sequences and establish wireless connection simply by touching your device to the camera. You are now ready to control your camera from your smartphone to take a photo from a previously out-of-reach spot, or simply be in your own group shot, as well as transfer them instantly to your smartphone for sharing on SNS. No NFC? No problem. You can also pair the devices manually.
Keep running strong
Don't worry about depleting your camera battery while you're on the road. The fully charged lithium-ion battery of the WX500 provides enough power to shoot approx. 400 stills or record approx. 75 minutes of movie footage, so you won't miss out on a great photo opportunity.
Match colour to suit your style
The WX500 is available in black, white or red. Also, a soft Sony camera case/lens jacket/shoulder strap set is a practical, stylish optional accessory in your choice of three colours to suit your mood or camera.
Intelligent Active Mode keeps blur away
Have no fear of handheld movie shooting. Intelligent Active Mode, featuring Sony's advanced frame-analysis technology and 5-axis image stabilisation, compensates for camera shake. This mode reduces the blurriness that tends to occur in images when shooting handheld or shooting while chasing a subject in action.
Customisable settings for personal command
Assign frequently used functions (Focus mode, White Balance, Picture Effect, etc.) to customisable buttons and keys for easier, quicker access to such functions while shooting. For example, you can assign 12 functions to the Function button, then press it, choose a function, and adjust function parameters via the control ring or rear control wheel.
Extra-speedy & precise Fast Intelligent AF
An improved spatial object detection algorithm realises a more optimal and accurate lens drive to make AF even faster, for capturing more fleeting moments with ease.
- Number of Pixels (Effective) 18.2MP
- Sensor Type 1/2.3\ type (7.82mm) Exmor R CMOS sensor
- Viewfinder 0.2-type electronic viewfinder
- Clear Image Zoom Still Image: 18M Approx. 60x / 10M Approx. 80x / 5.0M Approx. 113x / VGA Approx. 459x / 13M(16:9) Approx. 60x / 2.1M(16:9) Approx. 153x;Movie: Approx. 60x
- Digital Zoom (Still Image) Up to 120x (VGA)
- F-number (Maximum Aperture) F3.5 (W) - 6.4 (T)
- Focal length f=4.1-123 mm
- Lens type ZEISS Vario Sonnar T* Lens
- Built-in Flash Range ISO Auto: Approx. 0.3m to 5.4m (W) / Approx. 2.5m to 3.0m (T)
- Continuous Shooting Speed (Maximum) (Maximum Number of Recording Pixels) 10 fps (for up to 10 shots)
- Exposure Compensation +/- 3.0 EV, 1/3 EV step
- Flash Mode Auto / Flash On / Slow Synchro / Rear Sync / Flash Off
- Focus Mode Single-shot AF, Continuous AF
- Focus Type Contrast detection AF
- Image Processor BIONZ X
- ISO Sensitivity (Movie) ISO 80-3200
- ISO Sensitivity (Still Image) ISO 80-12800
- Light Metering Mode Multi Pattern;Center Weighted;Spot
- Panorama (Shooting) Intelligent Sweep Panorama (supports 360 format)
- Picture Effect Still Image: Toy camera, Pop Colour, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Colour, High Contrast Mono., Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Richtone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolour, Illustration
- Scene Selection Portrait;Advanced Sports Shooting;Landscape;Sunset;Night Scene;Handheld Twilight;Night Portrait;Anti Motion Blur;Backlight Correction HDR;Pet Mode;Gourmet;Beach;Snow;Fireworks;Soft Skin;High Sensitivity
- Self-Timer Off / 10sec. / 5sec. / 2sec. / 3 consecutive shots with 10sec. 5sec. or 2sec. delay selectable
- Shooting Mode Intelligent Auto;Superior Auto;Program Auto;Aperture Priority;Shutter Speed Priority;Manual Exposure;MR (Memory Recall) 1,2,3;Movie Mode (Intelligent Auto/Scene Selection);Panorama;Scene Selection
- Shutter Speed iAuto (4\ - 1/2000) / Program Auto (1\ - 1/2000) / Aperture Priority (8\ - 1/2000) / Shutter Priority (30\ - 1/2000) / Manual (30\ - 1/2000)
- Steadyshot Optical Steadyshot
- White Balance Modes Auto;Daylight;Shade;Cloudy;Incandescent;Fluor.: Cool White;Fluor.: Day White;Fluor.: Daylight;Flash;Custom;One Push, One Push Set
- Flash Type Built-in, manual pop-up
- Input and Output Terminals Multi/Micro USB TerminalHi-Speed USB (USB2.0)Micro HDMI
- Wireless Capabilities Wi-FiNFC One-touch functionality
- Playback Functions Slide Show;Forward/Rewind (Movie);Delete;Protect;Motion Shot Video;Beauty Effect;BRAVIA Sync (Control for HDMI);9/25-frame index view
- Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images) Up to 400 shots / 200 minutes
- Power Consumption (Camera Mode) Approx. 1.4W
- Compatible Recording Media Memory Stick Duo;Memory Stick PRO Duo;Memory Stick PRO Duo(High Speed);Memory Stick PROHG Duo;Memory Stick Micro;Memory Stick Micro (Mark2);SD Memory Card;SDHC Memory Card;SDXC Memory Card(UHS-I);microSD Memory Card;microSDHC Memory Card;microSDXC Memory Card
- Movie Recording Mode (NTSC) NTSC Mode: AVCHD (up to 1,920x1,080/60p at 28Mbps) / XAVC S (up to 1,920x1,080/60p at 50Mbps) / MP4 (up to 1,920x1,080/60fps at 28Mbps);PAL Mode: AVCHD (up to 1,920x1,080/50p at 28Mbps) / XAVC S (up to 1,920x1,080/50p at 50Mbps) / MP4 (up to 1,920x1,080/50fps at 28Mbps)
- Recording Format Still Image: JPEG(DCF Ver.2.0,Exif Ver.2.3,MRF Baseline complians);Movie: XAVC S, AVCHD format Ver.2.0 compatible, MP4
- Still Image Resolution 3:2 mode: 16M (4,896x3,264) / 8.9M (3,648x2,432) / 4.5M (2,592x1,728), 4:3 mode: 18M (4,896x3,672) / 10M (3,648x2,736) / 5M (2,592x1,944) / VGA, 16:9 mode: 13M (4,896x2,752) / 7.5M (3,648x2,056) / 2.1M (1,920x1,080), 1:1 mode: 13M (3,664x3,664) / 7.5M (2,736x2,736) / 3.7M (1,920x1,920), Sweep Panorama: Wide (7,152x1,080/4,912x1,920), Standard (4,912x1,080/3,424x1,920), 360(11,520x1,080)
Size and Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D) 101.6 x 58.1 x 35.5 mm
- Weight 209 g (Body only)236 g (With battery and media)
Model: VCTAMP1$99.95 NZD
Model: VCTR640$99.95 NZD
Model: VCTVPR1$239.95 NZD
RECOMMENDED BATTERY / CHARGER
Model: ACCTRDCX$109.95 NZD
Model: NPBX1$99.95 NZD
Model: LCJHWAB$99.95 NZD
Model: LCSSL20$89.95 NZD
Model: LCSSL10$49.95 NZD
This product is searchable
Search for this product by using any of the following codes or IDs