Alpha 7R Digital E-Mount Camera with Full Frame Sensor
Learn and be inspired while exploring our Image Gallery. Images are captured on Sony cameras and lenses.
- 36.4MP Full Frame Exmor CMOS sensor
- Fast Intelligent autofocus system
- No optical low-pass filter for enhanced detail
XGA OLED Tru-Finder
This viewfinder features high 1024x768 resolution, OLED improvements and the same 3-lens optical system used in the flagship a99 despite the compact body. The viewfinder displays the effects of your camera settings, so you can accurately monitor the results. You'll enjoy rich tonal gradations and three times the contrast of the a99. High-end features like 100% frame coverage, wide viewing angle, information display modes, peaking function, and focus magnifier are also provided.
The unique combination of 35mm full-frame sensor, audio production features and flexible lens interchangeability means a new level of portable moviemaking. The new accelerated BIONZ X image-processing engine also enables area-specific noise reduction and detail reproduction technology to be applied to movies for the very first time, resulting in ultra-fine detail and exceptionally low noise. Features like Picture Effect, full HDMI output for an external monitor, P/A/S/M modes, and full 1080p AVCHD Progressive format, and the choice of 60p/24p recording further expand the options.
Audio recording & monitoring
During movie recording and playback, you can monitor the sound using headphones connected to the a7R via the headphone jack, check levels with the display controls, or attach professional sound gear using the industry-standard XLR terminal adaptor kit.
36.4 MP 35mm full frame sensor
Sony, one of the world's leading makers of image sensors, combined its top new technologies to achieve high resolution and outstanding image quality. This revolutionary 35mm full-frame Exmor CMOs image sensor collects light with record efficiency to achieve high sensitivity, a wide dynamic range and an incredible new level of realism, while significantly reducing noise.
One-touch remote and one-touch sharing
One-touch remote lets you use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder and remote control for a digital camera, and one-touch sharing lets you transfer your photos and videos from your camera. Either way, by installing PlayMemories Mobile app to your NFC enable Android smartphone or tablet, you can avoid complex set-up sequences and establish wireless connection simply by touching your device to the camera. You are now ready to control your camera from your smartphone to take a photo from a previously out-of-reach spot, or simply be in your own group shot, as well as transfer them instantly to your smartphone for sharing on SNS. No NFC? No problem. You can also pair the devices manually.
Supported in Capture One Express (for Sony)
Capture One Express (for Sony) is one of the world's best RAW converters, rendering precise colours and incredible detail. It contains flexible digital asset management, all the essential adjustment tools and fast, responsive performance in one customizable and integrated solution. * Please direct all inquiries on purchase, usage and support on Capture One solutions to Phase One.
The exceptional performance of the image sensor was achieved through various advanced sensor features. First, compressing circuitry height dramatically increases the amount of light collected by each pixel, while photodiode expansion technology increased the size of the photodiode at every pixel to improve the sensor's dynamic range and further raise sensitivity while maintaining low noise and achieving a high S/N ratio.
BIONZ X processor
Sony proudly introduces the new BIONZ X image processing engine, which faithfully reproduces textures and details in real time, as seen by the naked eye, via extra high-speed processing capabilities. Together with front-end LSI (large scale integration) that accelerates processing in the earliest stages, it enables more natural details, more realistic images, richer tonal gradations and lower noise whether you shoot still images or movies.
Detail reproduction and diffraction reduction
Two new technologies bring out the full performance of sensor and lenses. Detail reproduction technology prevents the overemphasized outlines that plague most digital images. Diffraction reduction suppresses the effects of diffraction, which causes points of light to appear blurred especially at small aperture settings (large F-numbers). By taking the aperture setting into account, this technology faithfully restores clarity to points of light and other fine details, for beautiful landscapes, portraiture, and more.
Area-specific noise reduction
Area-specific noise reduction is now more powerful than ever. It selectively divides the image into areas based on patterns (such as edges, textures and evenly coloured areas like blue skies), and then applies the most appropriate noise reduction for each area to improve image quality, especially at high-sensitivity settings. Working together with Sony's detail reproduction, it gives supremely clear, detailed images.
16-bit processing + 14-bit RAW
16-bit image processing and 14-bit RAW output help preserve maximum detail and produce images of the highest quality with rich tonal gradations. The 14-bit RAW (Sony ARW) format ensures optimal quality for later image adjustment (via Image Data Converter or other software).
Fast Intelligent Autofocus
Numerous features contribute to the a7R's autofocus capabilities: the new lightning-fast BIONZ X, high-speed full-frame image sensor output, and a newly developed Spatial Object Detection AF algorithm that conducts focusing analysis in real-time using spatial frequency information to optimally control the lens drive.
New Eye Autofocus
Even when capturing a subject partially turned away from the camera with a shallow depth of field, the face will be sharply focused thanks to extremely accurate eye detection that can prioritize a single pupil. A green frame appears over the prioritized eye when focus has been achieved for easy confirmation. Eye AF can be used when the function is assigned to a customizable button, allowing users to instantly activate it depending on the scene.
Lock-on Autofocus and area setting options
Lock-on AF adjusts the target frame size based on subject characteristics and makes use of a wide AF area to ensure usage of the optimal AF point for smooth, stable autofocusing. Just press the shutter button halfway to activate it.2 New BIONZ X ensures swifter subject tracking and detection performance than ever before. When using the Flexible Spot AF area setting, you can select a small, medium-sized or large AF area to match the size of your subject and help ensure the camera focuses on the intended area. Wide and Zone focus area settings are also available.
Controls, customization and navigation
Despite compact dimensions, the a7R features front and rear dials for intuitive setting of exposure, a control wheel for setting ISO, and an exposure compensation dial. Quick Navi Pro displays all major shooting options on the LCD screen so you can rapidly confirm settings and make adjustments as desired without searching through dedicated menus. Button customization empowers you to shoot just the way you like, with frequently used functions assigned to the customizable buttons of your choice. You can easily assign any of 46 functions to any of 9 buttons; up to 12 key functions can be assigned to the Fn button for quick access.
Tiltable LCD screen
7.5 cm, 1.2 million dot LCD offers high resolution and flexible composition options.
Magnesium alloy body
Thanks to this outstandingly light and strong metal, the a7R weighs 465 grams with battery-less than half the weight of leading DSLRs-but has the durability for years of performance.
Substantial, ergonomic grip
The a7R is 25% less bulky than leading DSLRs, but still features a full-size grip for all-day shooting comfort.
Anti-dust system and coating
To keep your photos blemish free, an anti-dust mechanism vibrates ultrasonically whenever you switch off the camera to remove any particles adhering to the image sensor. An anti-static coating also helps prevent dust and other particles from adhering to the sensor when changing lenses.
Dust and moisture resistance
Durability-enhancing measures include sealing around the buttons and dials, as well as a protective double-layered structure that tightly interlocks panels and components.
No optical low-pass filter
Sony removed the optical low-pass filter to bring out the full potential of the sensor and lens, thus achieving an enhanced sense of clarity with supremely realistic details to the very edges of your photos. An AR coating also reduces flare and ghosting.
Gapless on-chip lenses
Sony optimized the design and positioning of every on-chip lens (OCL) covering every pixel to significantly enhance light-gathering efficiency. This raises sensitivity while maintaining low noise and achieving an impressive S/N ratio. A gapless on-chip lens design eliminates the gaps between micro-lenses to collect more light. Moreover, each on-chip lens is optimally positioned depending on its location to accommodate the sharper angle of light entering the periphery, which is caused by larger sensor dimensions being teamed with the E-mount's short flange-back distance.
- Lens Compatibility Sony E-mount lenses
- Lens Mount Sony E-mount lenses
- ISO Sensitivity ISO 50-25600
- Sensor 35 mm full frame (35.9 x 24mm) Exmor CMOS sensor
- Image Sensor Aspect Ratio 3:2
Number Of Pixels (Effective)
- Number Of Pixels (Effective) 36.4MP
- Number of Pixels (total) Approx. 36.8 megapixels
- Sensor Type 35 mm
- Total Number of Dots 921,600 dots
- Quick Navi Yes
- Peaking MF Yes (Level setting: High/Mid/Low/Off, colour: White/Red/Yellow)
- LCD Display Graphic DisplayDisplay All InfoNo Disp. InfoLevelHistgramFor viewfinder
- Focus Magnifier 35mm full frame: 7.2x, 14.4x \nAPS-C: 4.7x, 9.4x
- Brightness Control (LCD) Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2), Sunny Weather mode
- Adjustable Angle Up by approx. 90 degrees, Down by approx. 45 degrees
- Screen Type 3.0\ type TFT LCD
- Speaker Built-in, monaural
- Microphone Built-in stereo microphones or ECM-CG50/ XLR-K1M (sold separately)
- Compatible OS Windows Vista 8 SP2,Windows 7 SP1,Windows 8,Mac OS X (v10.6-v10.8)
- Continues Shooting 4 fps (in Speed Priority Continuous Shooting mode)
- Scene Selection PortraitLandscapeMacroSports actionSunsetNight portraitNight SceneHand-held TwilightAnti Motion Blur
- Metering Type 1200 - zone evaluative metering
- Metering Sensor Exmor CMOS sensor
- Metering Sensitivity EV0 to EV20 (at ISO100 equivalent with F2.8 lens attached)
- Metering Mode Multi-segmentCenter-weightedSpot
- Exposure Modes iAUTOSuperior AutoProgrammed AE (P)Aperture priority (A)Shutter-speed priority (S)Manual (M)Sweep PanoramaScene Selection
- Exposure Compensation Still images: +/- 5.0 EV (1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps selectable);Movies: +/- 3.0 EV (1/3 EV steps)
- Auto (AE) Bracketing With 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 2/3 EV, 1.0 EV, 2.0 EV, 3.0 EV increments, 3/5 frames (2.0 EV, 3.0 EV : only 3 frames) selectable
- AE Lock AE is locked when the shutter button is half pressed (ON/OFF is available in MENU)
- Other Features Focus lockEye-Start AF (only with LA-EA2 or LA-EA4 attached(Sold separately))
- Focus Type Contrast-detection AF
- Focus Sensor Exmor CMOS sensor
- Focus Sensitivity Range EV0 to EV20 (ISO100 equivalent with F2.8 lens attached)
- Focus Point 25 points (contrast-detection AF)
- Focus Area Multi Point (25 points(contrast-detection AF)) / Zone / Center-weighted / Flexible Spot (S/M/L)
- AF Mode AF-S (Single-shot AF)AF-C ( Continuous AF)DMF (Direct Manual Focus)Manual Focus
- AF Illuminator range Approx. 0.3m - approx. 3.0m (with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS attached)
- AF Illuminator -
- NFC™ One-touch remote, One-touch sharing
- Multi Interface Shoe Yes
- Interfaces Multi/Micro USB TerminalMulti Interface ShoeMicrophone minijackHeadphone minijackVertical Grip Connector
- HD Output HDMI micro connectorBRAVIA Sync (link menu)PhotoTV HD4K still image PB
- Noise Reduction Long exposure NR: On/Off selectable, available for shutter speeds longer than 1 sec.\nHigh ISO NR: Normal/Low/Off selectable
- Multi Frame NR Auto/ISO 100 to 51200
- White Balance Modes AutoDaylightShadeCloudyIncandescentFluorescent : Warm White / Cool White / Day White / DaylightFlashColour Temperature 2500 to 9900K & colour filter G7 to M7(15-step), A7 to B7(15-step)CustomUnderwater
- Bracketing 3 frames, H/L selectable
- AWB Micro Adjustment G7 to M7 ( 15-steps ), A7 to B7 ( 15-steps )
- Playback Modes Single (with or without shooting information RGB histogram & highlight / shadow warning)9/25-frame index viewEnlarged display mode (L: 23x, M: 15x, S: 11.5x)Panorama (Standard): 25.6x, Panorama (Wide): 38.8x)Auto Review (10/5/2 sec,Off)Image orientation (Auto/Manual/Off selectable)SlideshowPanorama scrollingFolder selection (Date/Still/MP4/AVCHD)Forward / Rewind (movie)DeleteProtect
Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images)
- Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images) Up to 340 shots
- Supplied Battery NP-FW50 W-series Rechargeable Battery Pack
- Internal Battery Charge Yes
- External Power AC Adaptor AC-PW20 (sold separately)
- Battery Life (CIPA, Movies) Actual Recording:Approx. 60 min (Viewfinder) / Approx. 65 min (LCD monitor) (CIPA standard)Continuous Recording:Approx. 90 min (Viewfinder) / Approx. 90 min (LCD monitor)
- Compatible Standards Exif Print, Print Image Matching III, DPOF setting
- Video Compression MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- Recording Format (Movie) AVCHD 2.0 / MP4
- Movie Functions Audio Level Display,Audio Rec Level,Auto Slow Shutter,HDMI Info. Display
- Image Size (pixels), PAL 1920 x 1080(60p, 28M, PS)1920 x 1080(60i, 24M, FX)1920 x 1080(60i, 17M, FH)1920 x 1080(24p, 24M, FX)1920 x 1080(24p, 17M, FH)1440 x 1080(30fps)VGA(640 x 480, 30fps)
- Audio Recording Format AVCHD: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
Recording (still images)
- Recording Format JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver.2.3, MPF Baseline compliant)RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format)
- Picture Effect Posterization (colour, B/W)Pop colourRetro PhotoPartial colour (R,G,B,Y)High Contrast MonoToy CameraSoft High-keySoft FocusHDR PaintingRich-tone MonoMiniatureWatercolourIllustration
- Image Size (pixels), Sweep Panorama Wide: Horizontal 12,416 x 1,856 (23M),Vertical 5,536 x 2,160 (12M)Standard: Horizontal 8,192 x 1,856 (15M), Vertical 3,872 x 2,160 (8.4M)
- Image Size (pixels), 3:2 L: 7360 x 4912 (36M)M: 4800 x 3200 (15M)S: 3680 x 2456 (9.0M)
- Image Size (pixels), 16:9 L: 7360 x 4144 (30M)M: 4800 x 2704 (13M)S: 3680 x 2072 (7.6M)
- Image Quality Modes RAWRAW+JPEGJPEG Extra FineJPEG FineJPEG Standard
- Dynamic Range Functions OffDynamic Range Optimizer (Auto/Level (1-5))Auto High Dynamic Range (Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure Difference Level (1-6 EV, 1.0 EV step))
- Creative Style StandardVividNeutralClearDeepLightPortraitLandscapeSunsetNight SceneAutumn leavesBlack & WhiteSepiaStyle Box(1-6)Contrast (-3 to +3 steps)Saturation (-3 to +3 steps)Sharpness (-3 to +3 steps)
- Face Detection On/On (Regist. Faces)OffFace registrationFace selection (Max. number of detectable faces: 8)
- Auto Object Framing Yes (Still Images)
- Compatible Recording Media Memory Stick PRO DuoMemory Stick PRO-HG DuoMemory Stick XC-HG DuoSD memory cardSDHC memory cardSDXC memory card
- Viewfinder Display Graphic DisplayDisplay All Info.No Disp. Info.Digital Level GaugeHistogram
- Number of Dots 2,359,296 dots
- Magnification approx. 0.71 x (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1m<sup>-1</sup>) diopter
- Field Coverage 100%
- Eye Point Approx. 27mm from the eyepiece lens, 22mm from the eyepiece frame at -1m<sup>-1</sup>diopter (CIPA standard)
- Dioptre Adjustment -4.0 to +3.0m<sup>-1</sup>diopter
- Color Temperature Control Manual (5 steps)
- Brightness Control (Viewfinder) Auto/Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2)
- Viewfinder Type 0.5\-type electronic viewfinder (colour)
- Wireless and Network Capabilities Wi-FiNFC One-touch functionalityDownloadable Camera Apps
- View on TV Yes
- View on Smartphone Yes
- Upload to PC Yes
Size and Weight
- Carton Width (cm) 37.00
- Carton Height (cm) 25.00
- Carton Weight (kg) 3.00
- Replaced by ILCE7RM2B
RECOMMENDED G & G MASTER LENSES
Model: SEL70200G$2,898.00 NZD
Model: SEL1224G$2,797.00 NZD
Model: SEL2470GM$3,331.31 NZD
Model: SEL70300G$2,197.00 NZD
Model: SEL100F28GM$3,378.00 NZD
Model: SEL100400GM$4,175.00 NZD
Model: SEL1635GM$3,813.28 NZD
Model: SEL24105G$2,098.00 NZD
Model: SEL24F14GM$2,498.00 NZD
Model: SEL135F18GM$3,948.00 NZD
Model: SEL70200GM$4,147.00 NZD
Model: SEL400F28GM$26,918.00 NZD
RECOMMENDED PRIME / FIXED FOCUS LENSES
Model: SEL85F14GM$3,138.00 NZD
Model: SEL85F18$985.00 NZD
Model: SEL50F14Z$2,697.00 NZD
Model: SEL35F14Z$2,587.00 NZD
Model: SEL35F28Z$2,048.00 NZD
Model: SEL55F18Z$1,479.00 NZD
Model: SEL50F18F$769.00 NZD
RECOMMENDED ZOOM LENSES
Model: SEL24240$1,589.00 NZD
Model: SEL2870$1,028.00 NZD
Model: SEL2470Z$2,049.00 NZD
Model: SEL90M28G$1,637.00 NZD
Model: SEL50M28$1,058.00 NZD
RECOMMENDED FULL FRAME LENSES
Model: SEL28F20$908.00 NZD
Model: SEL1635Z$1,798.00 NZD
This product is searchable
Search for this product by using any of the following codes or IDs
- ILCE-7R/BQ AP2